2013 Election news. Dan Miller formally announced his run for Harrisburg Mayor for the sake of the press, petitions turned in for Democratic and Republican candidates, and the analysis begins.
- witf–Harrisburg Mayor Thompson faces primary challengers
- Penn Live–Harrisburg Mayor Linda Thompson engaged in fascinating four-way fight to retain her seat
- today’s the day Harrisburg–Dan Miller Formally Announces His Run for Mayor of Harrisburg
- Roxbury News–Dan Miller for Mayor: March 12, 2013
- Penn Live–Harrisburg Controller Dan Miller officially launches mayoral campaign
- Carlisle Sentinel–Harrisburg mayor heads into May primary challenge
- Penn Live–Harrisburg School Board shift likely: 10 candidates for 7 seats, president vies for City Controller’s spot
Update on the City of Harrisburg’s financial situation. During this past week’s Municipal Financial Recovery Advisory Meeting, Fred Reddig of the Receiver’s team announced the City would not pay its March General Obligation bond payment, the third skipped payment in a full year. He also made a few other significant announcements.
- Reuters–Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to skip more debt service payments
- Central Penn Business–Harrisburg receiver will skip another debt service payment
- Penn Live–State electricity purchase deal involving Harrisburg incinerator a week away
- Roxbury News–Municipal Financial Recovery Advisory Committee: March 13, 2013
At the Harrisburg School District.
- today’s the day Harrisburg–Harrisburg Chief Recovery Officer Granted Extension to Complete Recovery Plan for School District
- today’s the day Harrisburg–Slideshow Presentation of Harrisburg School District Recovery Process
Crime & Public Safety
- WHTM 27–2 teens charged in weekend Harrisburg homicide
- Patriot News–Harrisburg police charge four men with homicide in 2 cases; no links made between fatal shootings
- WHTM 27–Mayor Thompson sets up Harrisburg “safety zones”
- WGAL 8–Residents react to Harrisburg safe zone project
The good stuff.
- witf–Lawmaker’s plan to get rid of school property taxes would raise sales tax
- Street Blog Network–Memphis Marching Forward on Safe Streets
- Street Sense–New Rules for the New Frontier
- abc News–Living Lab: Urban Planning Goes Digital in Spanish ‘Smart City
- Saudi Gazette–Mobility, sustainability, coexistence are inseparable elements in a city
- Salon–Can crowdfunding kickstart struggling cities?
- Reuters–Michigan governor names bankruptcy lawyer to run Detroit finances
- Business Insider–The Man Who Once Saved NYC From Bankruptcy Explains Why Detroit May Go Under