Bike Harrisburg will be an all-day event and will feature:
- A pre-event 8-10 mile guided bike ride at 7:15 a.m. beginning at on City Island.
- A guided bike ride on the Capital Area Greenbelt at 1:00 p.m., leaving from the PennDot statue near Front Street and Harvey Taylor Bridge.
- Information and services, such as bike safety checks, bike commuting tips, helmet fittings and minor repairs will be provided in Riverfront Park by bike-related businesses and organizations.
- Pride of the Susquehanna River Boat cruises, departing from the Riverfront Park dock at 10:30 a.m., 12:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. (fee charged)
- Free Harrisburg Bike Taxi transportation will be available in the event area (tips accepted)
As part of the event, Front Street, between Forster Street and the Walnut Street Bridge, will be closed to motor vehicles and open only for bicycles to allow people of all ages to ride in a traffic-free environment. Cyclists desiring a longer ride can link up with the Capital Area Greenbelt, Riverfront Park or cross over the Susquehanna River to City Island. Experienced cyclists are invited to ride to and from the event.
There’s no charge to participate in Bike Harrisburg and sponsorships include Aspire Urgent Care and Family Medicine. Media sponsors are CBS 21, CW 15 and My 21.2. Event organizers include the Harrisburg Bicycle Club, The Capital Area Greenbelt Association, the Bicycle Access Council and Recycle Bicycle.